Derek Mah ‘92
I was raised in Richmond and have two sisters and a brother. Through high school, I worked in the family printing business and during the summers, at a fish cannery. In 1992, I graduated from St. George’s School in Vancouver and then, went to the University of British Columbia.
I received a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1996 and that September, began the physiotherapy program at UBC. I graduated with my physiotherapy degree in 1999 and worked as a physiotherapist at the Richmond Hospital and in private clinics until 2003. During that time, I returned to UBC and received my law degree in 2003. Initially, I worked at a large downtown firm and specialized in the defence of ICBC and other personal injury lawsuits. Through this work, I found that Murphy Battista LLP was the leading firm for plaintiffs. Since 2006, I have practiced at Murphy Battista LLP and represent only people who have been hurt in accidents.
My training and experience as a physiotherapist and former defence lawyer give me unique insight and advantage into the medical and legal issues that you face. Where possible, I use my medical knowledge to ensure that the proper doctors and therapists are consulted because one of my goals is to help you get better. I have appeared in the British Columbia Provincial Court (Small Claims Court), Supreme Court, and Court of Appeal. I have acted for clients who live throughout British Columbia and overseas. I also act for the Public Guardian and Trustee of British Columbia on behalf of children who are unable to care for themselves.
My wife and I have 2 children. Art and hockey are two of my favourite past times. I also coach youth soccer, hockey, and baseball.
I have fond memories of my time at Saints. Acting as a mentor is a great opportunity to give back to the school and help young men who are at a “crossroads” that I can still remember.
Notable Presentations and Contributions
- UBC Continuing Studies – Rehab and the Law (April, 2007)
- Continuing Legal Education – Personal Injury & ICBC Cases in Provincial Court (November, 2008)
- Continuing Legal Education – Personal Injury Conference 2009 (June, 2009)
- Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia Annual General Meeting 2010 (April, 2010)
- Richmond Hospital – Informed Consent (November, 2010)
- Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia – Article Re: Swirski Interviews (June, 2012)
- Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia – Article Re: Expert vs. Lay Witnesses (September, 2012)
- Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia – Young Lawyers Presentation (February, 2014)
- Physiotherapy Foundation of Canada – Injury Law Update (February, 2014)
- UBC Physiotherapy Graduating Class – Charting, Interviews, Medical Legal Reports, and Testifying (August, 2014)
- LifeMark – Charting, Interviews, Medical Legal Reports, and Testifying (January, 2015)
- Member of the Trial Lawyers’ Association of British Columbia (Ongoing)
- UBC Law School Moot Court Judge (Ongoing)
- Consultant for the UBC Law Students’ Legal Advice Program (Ongoing)
- Member of St. George’s Old Boys Association Board (Ongoing)
- Member of UBC Institute of Mental Health Advisory Board (Ongoing)
- Proud sponsor of the annual Spinal Chord Gala and Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia Annual General Meeting (Ongoing)