About the Program
St. George’s School offers any interested boys the opportunity to participate and compete with the Varsity Swim team. The team competes in the BC School Sports Association
and ISA competitions. The competitive season is the duration of Term 1.
In the spirit of the School’s mission: "Building Fine Young Men. One Boy At a Time", the goals of the Swimming Program are to:
- Develop fine young men using swimming as a vehicle for personal growth
- Develop each boy’s sense of self-worth as a valuable member of a dynamic swimming program
- Create a culture and identity that future boys and teams will aspire to follow
- Create a life-long love for the sport as a competitive option post-highschool for those that are at that level, and a healthy lifestyle option for all
While each swimming season presents new opportunities forcompetitive events, in general, a typical season is as follows:
- 12 weeks – last week of August to the 3rd week of November
- a 4-5 day training Tour, usually every 2nd-3rd year
- 5-7 competitions, including afterschool time trials, intersquads, dual meets, championships etc.
- all boys eligible for all competitions, except the season-ending BCSS Provincial Championships required direct qualification from the Sea-to-Sky Zone Championships.
Practice FormatIn-water practices are offered up to 5 days per week, both afterschool from 3:30 pm–5:00 pm and some mornings before school from 6:45-8:15 am. A full practice schedule will be available closer to the start of the season. Some practices will be open to the full team, others will be for JV aged (Grade 8-9 or 10) or SV aged (Grade 10 or 11-12) boys only.
Additional fitness and dryland practices may also be scheduled from time to time. As well we will aim to offer mid-day Pro-D sessions and clinics from time to time.