In March or April of each year we host an information evening for prospective Grade 9 students and their parents.
Students who wish to apply complete an online application form and write a supporting letter. Applications are evaluated by a committee that includes outdoor education staff, the Head of Grade 9, the Grade 9 counselor and usually one or two other Grade 9 teachers. The input of Explorer 9 instructors is also considered.
Successful Discovery students show leadership potential, are open to challenging themselves and are organized with their academic and co-curricular involvement.
Applications are judged on the following:
- demonstrated positive attitude
- commitment to cooperation and respecting others
- level of motivation and initiative taking
- reasonable time management and organizational skills
- good co-curricular involvement