Jazz Ensemble auditions will take place right away once school has started in September. Please look for sign-up sheets posted outside of the upper music room during the first week of classes. Read the requirements carefully and download the music for your instrument. You must have the required music prepared to have a successful audition.
Junior Jazz Ensemble meets Tuesday and Thursday mornings from 7:00-8:15 am
Senior Jazz Ensemble meets Tuesday and Friday morning at 7:00 am
- Chromatic scale in running eighth note triplets using the full range of your instrument—lowest note to highest, ascending and descending at mm=120
- Blues Scales in concert Bb and F in running eighth note triplets (2 octaves)
- F Dorian (scale starting and ending on concert F, played in the key of Eb Major), 1 octave, eighth notes at mm=120
- F Mixolydian (scale starting and ending on concert F, played in the key of Bb Major), 1 octave, eighth notes at mm=120
(select your part from the download section)
- Les Hooper – One Big Happy Family
- Please prepare your part from the beginning to the end of measure 29. Start slowly before gradually working up to the marked tempo (mm=115-120) while paying particular attention to the marked articulation.
Drum Set and Auxiliary Percussion:
- All students will be asked to improvise during their audition. Improvisation is an essential aspect of performing in a jazz ensemble and can be a fun part of your practice routine. Have fun with this and keep it simple—you can make a great solo using just a few notes that are in the key. Start by using a few notes of the blues scale and experiment. If it sounds good to you, it likely is!
- Play 2 choruses using a 12 bar blues in F in swing style. Download the practice track included in the download section, as well as a chord chart for your instrument.
- In addition to the above music, please prepare the drum set material and the auxiliary percussion material from the download section.