- To expose all students to a programme of progressive skill development in a variety of major & minor games and other physical activities
- To promote an appreciation and enjoyment of participation in physical activities and establish the habits associated with an active lifestyle
- To provide all students with an opportunity to experience regular, meaningful and enjoyable competition
- To promote and develop appropriate social behaviour and cooperation through games
- To promote the development of healthy mind and body
Students should behave in a manner that promotes the efficient use of class time, the achievement of instructional objectives in a safe and enjoyable environment for themselves and others.
PHE Course Structure
The objectives and expectations for this subject area are delivered through three different strands over the course of a regular week. Details of these strands can be seen below.
Over the duration of the school year the boys are exposed to a variety of sports in which the focus is on developing sport specific skills and their game understanding of how to play the sport. Additional information of what sports are taught can be found on the in course outlines for each grade.
Wing Games – Intramurals
Weekly wing games provide the boys with an opportunity to participate and compete in their wings for points. The course outlines for each grade provide information on what sports are played. The boys in grade 1 won’t be exposed to wing games but will have wing related activities within an instructional class.
Weekly games classes are available for boys in grade 6 and 7 only. Games classes are often used for school team practices. In addition, games classes can be an opportunity for the boys to engage in a variety of other sports activities that may not be practiced in the other subject area strands. The course outlines for both grades can provide details for what takes place throughout the year.
All Junior Schools students are expected to have the following items:
All items of clothing and equipment must be labelled and stored in a PE locker.
- 1 school tracksuit
- 2 Wing T-shirts
- 2 pairs of black school shorts
- 5 pairs of white socks
- 1 pair of INDOOR running shoes
- 1 pair of OUTDOOR running shoes
- 1 lock for PE locker
- 1 pair of sports goggles
- 1 swimsuit and goggles (swimming) only applicable to boys in grade 3 to 7
- 1 towel
Please note that for all new boys to the school they will be permitted to participate in a white t-shirt for the first few weeks of school. Once a wing has been identified for them then they must get a wing shirt to wear for every PE class.
Most of the items listed above are available at the school store