Junior Swim Team
The St. George's School Junior Swim Team is open to all boys from Grade 3 - Grade 7 who are interested in participating and have some swimming experience. While participation is high (over 100 boys last season!), the quality of swimmers is equally as high, and many of our boys also participate with local community club teams. We encourage and support boys choosing to participate at this high level by excusing them from some of their practice commitments to the school team in order to help balance their swimming schedules. Typically this occurs when boys are practicing more than 3 times per week in year-round or SwimBC programs.
The team competes in monthly meets during the competitive season, which runs through Terms 1 and 2. Most meets are open to all boys who have consistently attended practice, while the ISEA Championships require a team to be selected. Additionally, St. George's hosts the Annual JR Invitational Meet in the late fall, hosting 10-12 teams and approximately 400 swimmers.
The swimming program at St. George's has produced Provincial and National medalists, Provincial record-holders, Provincial Team members, and nationally ranked swimmers. The Junior Swim Team has won the ISEA Boys Championships for over 20 consecutive years, developing a benchmark for the Senior Varsity Team, which has won the BC High School Aquatics Championships for 19 of the past 20 years!
2021-22 Season Letter
The Season letter will be available soon. In the meantime, you can read the 2019-20 Season letter here
as reference to a more 'normal' season, since last season was significantly impacted by COVID-19
Fall 2021 Practice Schedule - *TBC - October 2021 start
Expect updates on regular practice times and/or tryouts, and more, closer to the season start. Thank you for your interest.
We will have a combination of:
* Morning practices - 7:00-8:15am *TBC - parents will drop off to the SR school pool, after practice a dedicated school bus will transport all boys to the JR school for homeroom.
* Games practices - Grade 6-7 only - Term 2 Swim Team practice during Games period, Gr6s Tuesday periods 3-4, Gr7s Thursday periods 5-6.
* Afterschool practices - 3:20-4:45pm - a dedicated school bus will pick up the boys and transport to the pool, parents to pick up at the SR school pool after practice.
Practice Transport Considerations
- The school bus – a coach will pick boys up at the designated meeting place, very similar to class conditions, and escort them on the school bus following morning practices and in advance of afternoon practices.
- Parent driving – parents please drop your boys before morning practices and pick up following afternoon practices only. Please allow the boys to access the school bus only following mornings at 8:15am, and at 3:20pm for after-school practices. Multiple cars driving between the JR and SR school at 8:15am or 3:20pm will add to an already very congested time of day especially with the construction considerations at the SR school.
- After practice – Parents will be asked to park on Camosun Street or 29th Avenue. NO driving around the back of the School. Parents can then walk across the grounds in front of the Tennis Courts and meet beside the Bike Racks at the corner of the SR school. A coach will always meet the boys there in the morning, and also remain with the boys in the afternoon until they are picked up. In the case of poor weather the boys will be asked to remain inside the pool area. The pool direct phone is 604-221-3652.
We are hopeful for a return to mutli-school competitions this year once all health order conditions are adhered to. Typically that would include:
* St. George's Invitational - December
* WPGA Invitational - early February
* ISEA Championships - mid February
* Victoria Elementary Championships - end of February
We will also run some in-house inter-squads (Red vs White vs Black!) and other Time Trials.
- Practice – any jammer-style suit, goggles, towel, bag. Nothing else required at this time.
- Competition (team) – Team cap, Team suit, Team t-shirt, and St. George's School Tracksuit - all available in the School Store..
If you have any further questions, please contact Mr. Jones
. A reminder that details are still in development, so some of the above may change as required.