St. George's Junior Swim Team is open to all boys who are interested in participating and have some swimming experience. The boys can start as early as Grade 3 or join in a later year. While participation is high (over 90 boys are expected this year!), the quality of swimmers is equally as high. Many of our boys are swimmers for their local club teams. We encourage our students to participate especially with year-round clubs to further develop their skills in the sport. Boys swimming with "year-round" clubs more than three times per week, may be exempted from some practices. Please indicate your schedule in the sign-up box.
The team competes in monthly meets during the season, which runs through Terms 1 and 2. Most meets are open to all boys who have attended practices consistently. The ISEA Championships require a team to be selected. St. George's hosts the Annual JR Invitational Meet in the late fall, with approximately ten teams and over 300 swimmers.
Past and current team members are Provincial and National medalists, Provincial record-holders, Provincial Team members, and are nationally ranked. The JR team has won the ISEA Boys Championships for 20 consecutive years, setting the tone for the SR School Team, which has won the BC High School Aquatics Championships for the past 13 years.
2020-21 Season Letter
The Season letter will be available soon, you can read the 2019-20 Season letter here
Sign up for the 2020-21 Season
Sign up: Here
Fall 2020 Practices - start Monday, November 30th
All practices after school, bus leaves JR school 3:20 pm, practice ends 4:45 pm.
- Grade 3 - Fridays
- Grade 4 - Tuesdays
- Grade 5 - Mondays
- Grade 6 - Wednesdays
- Grade 7 - Thursdays
Practice Transport Considerations
- The school bus – will pick boys up at the designated meeting place by their cohort, very similar to class conditions.
- Parent driving to practice – not available at this time, as we won't have the resources to arrange and wait for individuals to meet us at the Senior School. We do not wish to add to traffic congestion around the Senior School at that very busy time.
- After practice – Parents will be asked to park on Camosun Street or 29th Avenue. NO driving around the back of the School. Boys will be escorted out the pool east exit, (in front of Nigel Toy field) and parents may meet there by the bike racks. A coach will always remain with the boys until they are picked up, so the boys will be asked to remain inside the pool area. The pool direct phone is 604-221-3652.
Grades 6 and 7
- Practices will be for both cohorts in the grade at the same time, ie. all Grade 6s on one day, and Grade 7s on another.
- Special considerations for cohort separation will occur, including a larger bus and separated seating, separate change rooms for each cohort, separate lanes ie. 1/2 the pool for each cohort.
In-house options as the year goes, certainly a version of the Red/White/Black in the fall! Pending other schools' participation, perhaps some virtual and other in-house Time Trials!
Thank you for your time reading the above and filling out the form by Wednesday, November, 11th. Any further questions please let me know. A reminder that details are still in development, so some of the above may change as required. Cheers, Mr. Jones.
- Practice – any jammer-style suit, goggles, towel, bag. Nothing else required at this time.
- Competition (team) – nothing required to start the season, however Team caps, suits, and t-shirts are available in the School Store should you wish to purchase.